Butte County Recorder's Office State of California

Butte County Recorder Office

The County Recorder Division records all real property transactions, financing statements, and maps; and collects and administers various fees for the county, its' cities and state agencies including Documentary Transfer Tax

The Butte County Recorder has control over recording, filing and the preservation of documents and indicies pertaining to land title within Butte County. These duties also include those pertaining to liens or encumbrances on land. Once these documents are recorded, the County Recorder makes this information available for examination by interested parties and issues copies upon request.

ABOUT BUTTE COUNTY All information deemed reliable - source: wikipedia.org

There are five incorporated cities, Biggs, Chico, Gridley, Oroville, and Paradise.

The unincorporated communities are Bangor, Berry Creek, Butte Creek Canyon, Butte Meadows, Butte Valley, Cherokee, Clipper Mills, Cohasset, Concow, Durham, Forbestown, Forest Ranch, Honcut, Kelly Ridge, Magalia, Nord, Oroville East, Palermo, Rackerby, Richvale, Robinson Mill, South Oroville, Stirling City, Thermalito, and Yankee Hill.

Oroville is the County seat for Butte County.


Records from 1980 to present are in electronic format and may be searched for online.


Records prior to 1980 are on microfilm and must be searched by hand at the Butte County Clerk-Recorder's Office.


Monday - Friday

9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. - Recorder

9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. - Clerk

Butte County Courthouse

By Mail

Butte County Clerk-Recorder's Office

25 County Center Drive, Suite 105

Oroville, CA 95965-3375

By Telephone

Local: (530) 538-7691

Facsimile:(530) 538-7975

By E-mail

For Security Reasons Type in the E-mail Address

Butte County recorder email address


County Administration Building

County Clerk-Recorder, Lower Level

25 County Center Drive, Suite 105

Oroville, CA 95965


The State of California has complex recording fees. In addition, each county has their own requirements including separate fees designated to certain cities.

Over and above these recording fees are other fees which may be due. These additional fees may or may not include any of the following:

  • Documentary Transfer Tax
  • City Real Property Transfer Tax
  • Survey Monument Fee
  • Preliminary Change of Ownership Report (PCOR) Fee

Because of the complicated fee structure, we recommend that you contact the county clerk ( contact information above ) and they will provide the exact cost of recording your California Quitclaim Deed.